Sunday, October 5, 2008

I've been a slacker

And I'm sorry!!! There just really hasn't been a whole lot going on. I did have that stupid 2 hour glucose tolerance test yesterday though. Man did that suck.

First off was the fasting blood draw. The phlebotomist was crap. She was "training," so she sucked. I have never had a draw hurt so badly.



Next up was the sugary drink. It was fruit punch. I HATE fruit punch. Just the smell of it makes me nauseous, but then I had to also chug it down in under 5 minutes. Ugh. I kept it down though.

Then comes blood draw #2. Now, I have the vasovagal reaction to blood draws, which means my blood pressure plummets and I pass out. If I lay down, I'm fine. Well for this second draw there was already someone in the one room with the bed and since it was a timed test, the draw had to be done. So in the interest of never having to do this crap again, I chanced it. The needle went in...I was fine, but the "good vein" the girl had, collapsed. So she said she'd try the other arm. Then I just about passed out. Luckily, the other person in the room with the bed was done, so they put me over there, but they wouldn't take my blood for a few more minutes to let me recover. All in all, that draw was 15 minutes late.

I wait another hour and go back for my 3rd and final draw. At this point, the bruise is already starting on my left arm from the 2 sticks - one right next to the other, and my right arm has a bruise from the collapsed vein. I lay down...she sticks me again, and oh crap! an already bruised vein being punctured for the third time in 2 hours right next to the other two sticks sure hurts like hell!

Honestly, I've never had a blood draw hurt as bad as all of these did. Even the first one hurt like a mofo going in, while it was in and for about 10 minutes afterwards. I bled like a son of a bitch too.

I wish anyone doing this test the best of luck. If it weren't for the good of a baby, I would refuse ever doing it again.

Have a good week everyone! Hopefully I'll have something fun to post soon!

No comments: