After fighting off a nasty, phlegmy cold that made me completely lose my voice two weeks ago and then watching Bryan fight it off too, our poor baby boy caught it.
At first it was just a sniffle and a slight cough. Then Friday morning, I didn't like the sound of his breathing. It seemed more labored and crackly so I called the doctor's office and got him the earliest appointment they had, which was in the afternoon. I dropped him off at daycare since thanks to the snow, I hadn't been in the office for two days and the computers had all shut down from a power surge so I couldn't log in from home. He didn't have a fever and Bryan would be there in a few hours to pick him up and take him to the doctor, so although I felt guilty leaving him I knew it wouldn't be for long. Plus, he loves his teachers and they love him. He was so happy to see Ms. N!
Fast forward through the late morning and early afternoon to about 3 o'clock. Bryan calls and gives me the report from the doctor. Griffin has bronchiolitis and is to have nebulizer treatments every four hours and we are to go back Sunday morning at 8:30 for a check up. He had no fever at the time (he got one later that night), his oxygen saturation was perfect and he was a whopping 14 pounds, 7 ounces.
He just wasn't himself Friday night and most of Saturday, but this morning he was much improved and playing. He isn't eating quite as much, but he's not eating too little and he's not getting dehydrated, so that's good. Friday night was the saddest. As soon as I got home and gave him a big hug, he just didn't want me to let him go. I ended up sitting on the couch for a couple hours just holding him and letting him sleep on me. My poor little guy.
He hates the nebulizer, but it helps so much. I have to just hold him while staring and daydreaming or it would break my heart to force him through a treatment. His fever goes up and down and his cough is still nasty, but the doctor said his lungs sound much, much better. I guess I'll never be able to completely relax as a mother. I am always so terrified of losing him. I know this is a common infection for babies to have, but it scares the crap out of me because it involves his lungs. *sigh*
Off for an hour or so of sleep before the next treatment. Please keep Griffin in your prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sending up some prayers for him!
Post a Comment