Friday, February 11, 2011

ER Visit

So last night we had Griffin at the ER. He's fine, but after we did his 8pm breathing treatment, he still wasn't breathing well. He was very crackly, sounding like a coffee pot percolating, and he was also doing this grunting thing while trying to breathe. By the time we got to the hospital, he was basically fine again. He does still have a nasty cold and bronchiolitis, but he does not have RSV or the flu and his oxygen saturation is great.

We had our follow up with the pediatrician this morning and she said that it sounds like he had a mucous plug in one of the bronchioles and was grunting trying to get it loose. He did have a couple really gross sounding coughing fits on the way to the hospital, so that makes perfect sense. We have to continue doing nebulizer treatments every 4 hours until he's not crackly and mostly over things, but then we can slowly back off the frequency and finally stop once his cough is 100% gone, which could easily be 3 weeks from now. The doctor does expect him to be over the cold in about a week.

I won't begin to tell you what went through the mind of this MOPL (Mommy Of Previous Loss - yes, I just made that up. I don't qualify as a MILF, but felt the need to have some kind of abbreviated title), but once we got through triage and I saw his O2 sat, I was very much at ease. Then I was happily surprised at how well behaved he was throughout the whole ordeal. The only time he got upset was when they power-snucked* his nose out, and I don't blame him for that. Otherwise, he was looking all around and trying to eat his gown. And his hands. And Daddy's finger. And Tigger. He's definitely in the "let me put this in my mouth" stage.

So that's it for now. We're hoping that is our only ER trip - ever! - and hoping to get some sleep tonight. Thankfully I know the latter will happen because my sister is coming over and she takes care of Griffin so we can get sleep. Have a great weekend, blogosphere pals!

*snuck: contraction of "snot" and "suck"

No comments: