My acupuncturist calls a parent's anxiety over and desire to protect a child "Mama Bear." She says it's instinctual like a mother bear protecting her cub, and fighting to the death if need be. This instinct in me spurred my actions in the following story (as well as others. so. many. stories. with. daycare.)
Read on...
As you may recall, a parent of one of the babies in G's class
The reason? It is against NMFR's (New Management, Fourth Reich) policy. Which was never stated previously. 'Cause they never gave the employees a new handbook. And told them to go off of the old owner's handbook. In which outside activities/relationships with parents were fine. Anyone else notice a problem here? So, NMFR told her they would discuss it further later, which never happened.
Now, last Friday night there was a parent's meeting that I, naturally, attended. The meeting in itself was a joke. Every concern a parent brought up was answered by NMFR with "We're fixing that." The meeting ended when the parents were in an uproar and NMFR quietly slipped out and disappeared. Then two teachers who have obviously partaken of the kool-aid, handed out survey forms to rate the center. Oh me, oh my! Talk about sloppy, lazy work! The very first section was "indicate your child's program" with four options that you could check off. Each option was "offered program." Helpful, right? Oops! Sorry, tangent started there...moving on to important story details...
The agenda for the meeting had a section, which by the way was never spoken about during the meeting, saying parent/teacher relationships should be cordial, but outside activities such as birthday parties, outings, etc., are "not encouraged." K. So they aren't encouraging it. They also aren't saying you can't do it.
Sunday, was Ms. F.'s kids' party.
Monday, Ms. F. was out sick.
Tuesday, Ms. F. was suspended until further notice/a meeting with NMFR was set up to discuss things (ie. more than likely fire her). I was livid. As were two other parents whom I happen to have become friends with. Well, I had to call the director yesterday while I was home recovering from my own brand of the plague about a separate issue. I was tired. I was pissed. I had had enough of NMFR's shit. I let the director have it. In addition to the numerous other complaints, I took major issue with suspending Ms. F. over a birthday party.
Director's one argument in favor of suspension:
NMFR has policies as every company does, and must enforce them.
My arguments:
1. Yes, they have policies, but they are not stated and given to employees. I have never received a new parental handbook and am going off of old managements. Have you received a new employee handbook?
Answer: - silence -
2. The only thing stated about outside activities was on the agenda from the parent's meeting on Friday, which said they are "not encouraged." Besides the fact that Ms. F. was not at that meeting to receive it, "not encouraged" does not mean "do not do this," and was given to parents not teachers.
Answer: "Not encouraged," to the director and NMFR, meant "do not do this."
Counter Argument: It's ambiguous. I interperet "not encouraged" to mean that NMFR doesn't like it so if something happens outside of the center, don't come crying to them about it. It's also putting a rule in place and trying to enforce it retroactively. FAIL.
3. When Ms. F. walks out the door and off of NMFR's property, she is no longer an employee. She is a private citizen. As such, she has every right to do whatever she wants with whomever she wants.
Answer: -silence-
4. "Do you even know if anyone went? I didn't."
Answer: -silence-
The outcome? Within two hours of our conversation, Ms. F. was reinstated without the aforementioned meeting and with no restrictions or warnings (and I'm sure no apologies either). Coincidence? I'll leave that up to you to decide.
Moral of the story? Don't mess with my son's care. I'll go Mama Bear on your ass.

4 comments:
good for you
EPIC WIN!!
What the hell though..?
Woo Hoo for G's mom!
Whoa - you actually went to the wall ON SOMEONE ELSE'S BEHALF! Not too many people would do that, even if it does affect their child's care. In fact, they'd probably worry that saying something would affect their child's care MORE. You are a ridiculously awesome person. High Five!
Post a Comment