Friday, April 16, 2010

Summer Plans

The weather has been beautiful lately here in the mid-atlantic states and it's gotten me thinking a lot about summer. I won't get to the beach this year, nor will I get to visit out-of-state family. This is because of the cerclage I will be having on May 27th. Once that goes in, I'm self-restricting travel to a one hour radius of the hospital. So what's a girl to do with herself? For me, it looks like my summer will be filled with needles.

First up, is cerclage day - plenty of needles invovled with that. Then, I'll be starting 17P shots (progesterone) the first week of June. Those are weekly. They are also intramuscular (ie - big needle). Then...well, this takes a bit of a story, so please bear with me.

Back in January, when we found the "natural" approach to PCOS/infertility was not working, I decided to make an appointment with a recommended endocronologist - Dr H. That appointment was yesterday. She is very nice and extremely knowledgable, but she is also very aggressive in treating metabolic disorder - especially when the patient is pregnant.

She looked through my past 2-hour GTT results, and saw that in March of last year, while I was first pregnant (before the BFP), my level was 199. You may remember this post where I assumed based on my own research that I was no longer considered prediabetic. I was so happy about my progress. Turns out, for this doc at least, above 120 is bad. My level having been 127 in January coupled with being pregnant and having a history of high sugars led her to "not fool around" with my case.

What does that mean, you may ask? Well, that means I got a new toy yesterday - a blood glucose monitor! I now have to check my sugar 7 times a day and log it, keep a food log and fax her both of those once a week. That's a lot of work for 7 stinkin' points! However, since this is all in the interest of not only this pregnancy, but my continued health (and hopefully I will be able to some day really put the word "good" in front of that), I am now sticking my fingers and carrying around a meter and supplies.

Yesterday, for my first test I had to stick myself 3 different times to get enough blood for a reading. This was after Dr. H showed me how to test in her office, which took 2 pokes to work. In 24 hours, I stabbed my fingers 11 times. They hurt now. I guess I'll get used to it.

Now so far, we have a cerclage, weekly progesterone injections and 7 finger sticks a day. Let's forget the cerclage for now and total that up over the summer. For simplicity I'll count the summer as 12 weeks. So...12 weekly injections. 12 weeks of 7 sticks a day is 588 sticks, bringing the total to 600 times a needle is going to cut into my flesh this summer....at least. I say at least because Dr. H also says she has "a low threshold" on prescribing insulin. Oh, and with pregnancy she doesn't use oral insulin. F***ing great. I'm done counting. Just bring on the cerclage, the progesterone injections, the finger sticks, the insulin injections and this fall, a healthy take home baby. In the end, this is all worth it.

So....in light of my stabby summer to come, please tell me all of your beach and vacation plans. I will have to live vicariously through you and keep your plans in mind each time a needle strikes!

3 comments:

I Just Love You said...

don't they have new meters that test some place besides your fingers?

Kate said...

They do, but my lancing device didn't come with the right piece for it. So until I can get my hands on that, I'm stuck with fingers :(

sarah said...

Ouch, ouch, OUCH! The is a lot of jabs. Poor Kate! It is for a very good cause though. My dad has the "diabeetus" and I always play with his monitor when I visit. I think its a little bit fun (I'm weird, I know). I mean, its fun when you get to do it when ya want, I'm sure 7 times a day is far from fun! It seems the trick was to get the finger poker to the right depth that gets enough blood but that you can't really feel it. Hope you get some good needle options soon!

How are you feeling? (Other than stabbed )-: )